Spring and Summer Fun
With the days getting warmer – then colder, then warmer again – we are finally getting signs from Mother Nature that Spring is just around the bend. As the days get longer and more pleasant, many will decide to venture out of the house to look for fun activities for the family to enjoy, but just what notable, family friendly, spring and summer fun events does Madison have to offer in 2018?
While the weather may not be exactly cooperative during the month of April, there still are plenty of things for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
- Midwest Horse Fair – An annual adventure held at the Alliant Energy Center that is fun for the whole family. Complete with educational events, over 400 vendors, and plenty of live horses!
- Brewers Season Starts – Even if you aren’t a big baseball fan, there’s something special and exciting about watching a Brewer’s game in their state of the art stadium.
- Fundraising Runs/Walks – Regardless of the weather, many charitable races take place in April, including Crazylegs and the Dog Jog. All proceeds of most go right to charity, and you and your family get the opportunity to get active.
It’s true that May brings either nice, warm weather or continues the rainy, cold kind. Either way, many indoor and outdoor activities are available.
- Madison Mallards Season Begins – If you want to see a baseball game, especially one with fun interactions for the crowd, but don’t want to drive to Milwaukee for the Brewers, then look no further! Madison has their own exciting team, with activities and prizes for children, and a section for adults who want to include all-you-can-eat food with unlimited beer.
- Brat Fest – This exciting fundraiser has been held over Memorial Day weekend since 1983. Other than cheap, delicious food, Bratfest also offers all day rides, games, multiple stages with fantastic bands, and more for people of all ages. Admission is free, and it is held at the Alliant Energy Center.
By June, the weather is (hopefully!) nice and warm, allowing us to get outside and have a blast at these exciting events.
- Festa Italiana – A fun-filled ethnic festival held in Milwaukee every year, this is the place to sample fantastic Italian food, music, and entertainment. Don’t miss the amazing fireworks and pyrotechnics display for some good summer fun!
- Cows on the Concourse – Celebrate the beginning of summer in the most Wisconsin way possible: with cheese! Check out the cow petting area, learn about the state’s dairy history, and of course, eat your fill of delicious cheese! Admission is free.
- Paddle and Portage – This will be the 39th annual “lake to land to lake race.” It is held at James Madison Park on June 16th, 2018. There are multiple races, from beginner to expert, to give your whole body a workout.
- Concerts on the Square – Founded in 1960, the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra provides many different concerts to the public. One of the most well-known is Concerts on the Square. It is free to attend, and the area is packed with food vendors of all different kinds of cuisine. Be sure to bring a blanket or chair!
Summer fun will be in full swing by July, and so will the exciting events for you to attend!
- Art Fair on the Square – Held on the Capitol Square, this annual event brings over five hundred artists from all over America to set up and sell their work. It is one of Madison’s most popular summer fun events, with free admission and delicious food from trucks and vendors.
- Olbrich’s Blooming Butterflies – For a small admission fee, you and your family can walk through the stunning gardens at Olbrich while free-flying butterflies flutter through the air. Watch them hatch before your eyes and take in the beauty of this relaxing event.
- Dane County Fair – Yet another annual, family-friendly summer event, The Dane County Fair has free concerts, scrumptious food, and tons of animals to interact with!
It can get hot in August in the Midwest, so be sure to bring your suntan lotion and drink plenty of water while exploring these summer fun events!
- Reebok Crossfit Games – The search to find the “Fittest on Earth” comes to Madison’s Alliant Energy Center! Grab tickets to watch some seriously hardcore athletes compete in an impressive and thrilling experience.
- Middleton Good Neighbor Fest – An annual festival that’s been bringing people together for a fun time since the sixties, The Middleton Good Neighbor Fest has rides, food, and their famous parade.
- Badger Football Starts Up – Put on that red and white and cheer on the Badgers at your favorite bar or restaurant!
The summer months may be coming to an end by now, but the excitement won’t be.
- Taste of Madison – Another of the city’s most popular events, The Taste of Madison is a must do. There you’ll not only find free music and entertainment, but will also be able to try food from over eighty restaurants.
- Zoo Run Run – One of the many events held to raise money that keeps admission for Madison’s zoo free, the Zoo Run Run is on its 13th year. This year you and your children can sign up as either a predator (badger) or prey (gopher) and see just how much fun you’ll have while helping fund a good cause.
Cooler Days Don’t Mean the Fun Is Over
The list above only mentions a small amount of spring and summer fun that you and your family and friends can enjoy. Be sure to check out others around town, or even just check out a local museum or park for a laid back afternoon. Regardless of what you’re in the mood for, the area has plenty of excitement to choose from.